Friday, March 6, 2009

'American Idol''s Scott MacIntyre Says His Blindness is Not a Disadvantage

Scott MacIntyre showed he had a sense of humor on Wednesday night's "American Idol" results show when he high-fived Ryan Seacrest after learning that he had made it into the Top 12.

Described by Kara DioGuardi as "moving mountains when you step on that stage," after his performance of Bruce Hornsby's "Mandolin Rain," Scott says that it feels amazing that so many people in America voted for him.

"I am not going to take it lightly," he adds.

"American Idol" is tough enough for its sighted contestants who have to learn a new song and choreography each week for the group numbers, but Scott says he has never thought he is at a disadvantage.

"[Being legally blind] definitely makes it more challenging," he agrees, but adds, "I am so up for rising to the occasion as I have in every other challenge I have had to face in my life. I don't want people to look at it in that way. I am having a great time singing. I am just blessed that I have people here willing to teach me the choreography. On that note, any time you see me following a steady cam, [it is because the staff] told me, 'Look here and follow it around to the left.' It is hit or miss, but I am so blessed to be here. I do what I can."

Scott, who is a songwriter as well as a singer, says he is looking forward to all the themes that the "American idol" producers will throw at him.

"One thing I can tell you, whatever the theme of the weeks coming up, I am always going to chose something that I can make work for me," says the 23-year-old from Scottsdale, AZ, whose influences include Gavin DeGraw, Ben Folds and John Mayer, as well as Hornsby. "They will represent my style in some way and I am going to try to stay current. I take my song choices very seriously."

"American Idol"'s Top 12 begin the battle to become the next singing sensation next Tuesday at 8 p.m. on FOX.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone I work with made the comment that Scott was getting the "sympathy vote" from viewers, but I couldn't disagree more.

Randy Jackson was right. The emotion just flows out of Scott when he sings and although the vocals weren't the absolute best, I look for a performer who can sing, one who will entertain me and one shows passion.

My whole family is rooting for Scott to win the whole thing!

Anonymous said...

I don't believe that Scott received sympathy votes either. I think people voted for him because he can sing and that is what the competition is about. I agree with Randy and Kara that the emotion flows out of him. I think he's awesome.

AdBrite 2